August 13, 2009

Pear-athon continues: Ginger-Pear Marmalade.

While the batches of pear preserves from last time were pretty fantastic, I was keen to expand upon the previous success by adding a new twist. This time I stumbled onto a bunch of red pears and a new, delicious sounding recipe.

IMG_0385

Ginger-Pear Marmalade:

8-9 medium red pears.
2 1/3 cups sugar.
3 limes limes (zest and juice).
1 tablespoon grated ginger root.

IMG_0365a

Start by washing and peeling the pears, then quarter and core them. Set them aside. Next, zest three limes - I used a peeler and then sliced the peel into short thin strips. I like the color and texture these strips add to the jar. Now, juice the limes, discarding any seeds.

IMG_0377a

Combine pears, lime strips and juice, and sugar in a dutch oven. Grate the ginger in.

IMG_0385a

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently Boil until it begins to thicken - about 15 minutes or until you reach 222°.

IMG_0391a

Ladle directly into your hot, sterilized jars (it jells fast). Leave a quarter inch of headspace. Remove any air bubbles and be sure to wipe your rims clean. Lid directly and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Makes about 2 1/2 pints.

IMG_0398

I love ginger and the flavor it adds to the pears - I think this might be my new favorite batch.

1 comment: