July 9, 2009

I got big plans. Big.


Jars and jars.

After last weekends trip to the farm and the reminder of just how much I love jarred goods, I began thinking about making my own pickles and preserves. I started researching how-tos and materials and there are so many great resources out there. Even the USDA pitched in:

Then, I glanced through my older cookbooks and found that I already had plenty of recipes I could try. Well, I really sold myself the idea, so yesterday I bought some jars, and a lot of white vinegar, and pickling salts, etc.
Saturday, I plan to wake up early and head out to the farm to get the best selection and maybe just rely on that to dictate what I end up making.

I am thinking/hoping:
Dill Pickles (of course).
Spicy Pickled Okra.
Pickled Eggs with Beets (Yes, eggs).
Strawberry Preserves.
...or Raspberry.
Peach Something.

I know what you are thinking, "What are you going to do with all that stuff?" Well I intend to start small, keeping some for myself of course, but I think I could sell some to friends and family - and maybe people I do not know yet...

Go cottage industry! That is all.

jon.

2 comments:

  1. you should check out INNA pickle and INNA jam. makes delicious stuff and sells to her friends. (link on my blog under Food)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete