July 12, 2009

Strawberry Preserves.

Despite a ridiculously late start yesterday, I made it to Froberg's just before they closed. Lucky for me (and you) they still had strawberries.
The recipe for my preserves is very basic, which is a good place to start - this is my first time after all.

Strawberry Preserves:

2 pounds fresh strawberries.
4 1/2 cups sugar.
2 lemons (juice only).



Wash...


...and hull strawberries.


Pour lemon juice over sugar in a deep skillet.
Bring to a boil undisturbed.


Stir and add strawberries. Bring to a boil and up to 220 degrees for 10-15 minutes.


Ladle into jars with 1/4" head space.
Process in a boiling bath for 15 minutes.


The recipe filled nine four ounce jars, leaving just enough to spread over two slices of toast. All I can say, is that the flavor of the preserves was perfectly strawberry and made me as proud as the best meal I have every prepared.

***


I did learn a couple very important lessons:

Do not touch boiling sugar.
Precise temperatures = no pectin.
Do not forget butter - it cuts down foam.
Keep ice on burns as long as possible.


***
The selection at Froberg's was plentiful and saved me from having to choose what else to make. In addition to strawberries, I picked up eggs, okra, and cucumbers. I plan to pickle them in the coming days, so stay tuned.
That is all.

jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment