July 14, 2009

Pickled eggs.


I love eggs. I love pickles. So, what comes next should come as no surprise:

Pickled eggs are hard-boiled and soaked in a solution of vinegar, salt, spices, and other seasonings.
For my eggs, I decided to use a simple, hand-me-down pickling spice mixture:

2 tablespoons whole allspice.
2 bay leaves.
1 cinnamon stick.
5 cloves.
2 tablespoons coriander seeds.
2 tablespoons ground ginger.
1/4 cup mustard seeds.
2 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes.

To help cut costs, I followed the advice of a friend, and took advantage of the bulk spice section at my local Central Market. The value is amazing - I got more than enough spices for my recipe, all for about a dollar.
Start by boiling a dozen eggs. Twelve minutes at a simmer is the key. Run under cool water for a few minutes finishing by filling the pan and adding ice. Set aside.


The number of eggs per quart will vary by size.

Next, combine your pickling solution:

1 tablespoon pickling spice.
2 teaspoon salt.
3 cups white vinegar.
1 cup water.
Heat the mixture to near boiling in a medium saucepan and simmer for five minutes.
While simmering, peel your eggs and loosely pack in a hot sterilized jar. Pour the hot pickling solution (spices included) over the eggs.
Wipe the rim of the jar and secure the lid - finger tight is good. Process jar(s) in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
The eggs are ready for serving when the pickling solution has seasoned all parts of the egg - two to four weeks should do it.



Sweet pickled perfection.

I am too impatient to wait for these batches to be taste tested, so I will just keep trying different recipes (I have several more I want to try), but I think we need to have a tasting... thing. Perhaps August 1st?
That is all.
jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment