July 21, 2009

Pickled jalapeños.

Saturday morning I woke up early (considering the night before), and I took my friend Erika (and my hangover) to Froberg's farm. It was her first visit and I did my best to show her around. She took lots of photographs and will likely have something to say about the experience soon - she has in mind that this is the beginning of "Farm Tour," which I am totally in for.
While we were there, I picked up more strawberries, okra, eggs, and - you guessed it - jalapeños. They looked so good; Erika caught me lingering and suggested that I might could pickle some. Sold.


I did not have a specific pickled jalapeños recipe so I started with a generic recipe of water, vinegar, and salt. I added some of my pickling spice mixture and some sugar to (maybe) soften the burn a touch.

Pickled jalapeños:

1 pounds fresh jalapeños.
3 cups white vinegar.
3 cups water.
3 tablespoons kosher salt.
3 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar.
3 tablespoons pickling spice.
4 crushed cloves of garlic.

Start by piercing each pepper with a fork several times - this will allow the pickling juices to get inside and the hot to get out.
In a medium saucepan, bring to boil your vinegar and water with the rest of the ingredients. Reduce and simmer for five minutes.


Pack the jalapeños into your sterilized jars - I only managed about five peppers per pint jar.
Pour the vinegar solution into each jar - dividing the bay leaves and garlic - leaving an inch of headspace.
Lid the (clean-rimmed) jars and process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes. Let sit for at least a week for maximum seasoning.
The sugar darkened the vinegar more that usual which makes for a dramatic looking jar of peppers.


My mouth is watering over these already. That is all.

jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment